Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Crochet in Middle Earth-tones

My sister kept mentioning last year that she wanted to learn to crochet, so I got her Debbie Stoller's The Happy Hooker for Christmas. I think I showed remarkable self-restraint by not flicking through it until now. (I honestly didn't by it with myself in mind, but I might be a terrible person regardless.)

I got good use out of the Stripes (and Stripes) Forever pattern - when I had reams left over from making a belt, I decided to make a scarf, as well. I used Debbie Bliss Cotton DK, in what was my first yarn-shopping jaunt in an uncharacteristically long time. I wanted to use earth-tones, and I think the colour scheme ended up quite Middle Earthish, which I'm happy with, because I am a really cool and well-adjusted person with a vibrant social life.



I made the belt several inches too long, but at least it's long enough to tuck into the next belt-loop.


The scarf is also self-tasselling, which is pretty cool! It's crocheted in long rows end-to-end, rather than short rows side-to-side. It looks nice and academic, I think, and as I started it while I was in Cambridge, I feel doubly justified in thinking of it as my Shire scarf.



Second and third crochet projects down! (The fourth will hopefully be put together tonight, photos in the future.) The next one I have planned is a biggie - if I do a decent job of it, I'll feel I'm allowed to say that I can crochet.

Also, Irish Premature Babies sent me a thank-you card for the squares I donated, and emailed me pictures of the blankets they've made! I get to feel fuzzy, and I get post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Forkis! I'm Hannah. I found you over on LJ in Knitting, where I lurk as cat_or_pillar, and despite your ambivalent description, I love the colors of this scarf and think my fellow crafters at Kollabora would too. Would you consider joining the community and uploading it?

Forkis said...

Oh, thanks very much! I'd not heard of that site before but it looks pretty slick, I'll get on that :)

Forkis said...

I am procrastinating pretty hard tonight, so my account is Jennifer Juniper: I haven't fancied it up much yet, but I've added this scarf :)

http://www.kollabora.com/users/323279/jennifer-juniper

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you like the site! I also really like your banner. Are you a photographer?

I'm sort of a sucker for amigurumi, so I squealed when I saw your direwolf. It doesn't really look like it could rip anyone to shreds, but I can overlook that.

Forkis said...

You're very kind! Flattery will get you everywhere. I'm not a photographer, though I was quite into it as a hobby for a while a few years ago, and am trying to get back to it, so that's an encouraging thing to hear. Thanks!