Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Recent FOs: gloves, a bobble hat, and a helmet

I finally used the last of my Willow Tweed. These will be going to a craft fair next month, unless I think of someone who would like a pair as a gift. "I'll make these just in case" isn't really how I operate with hand-made presents, though.



I used two of the same stitch patterns as for the green yarn, but I think the yarn brings them out very well.





I've finished two of my October birthday presents, but one of the recipients-to-be reads this! This hat is for my little brother. It's made from a whole skein of Noro Korogashi - the ends went into making the bobble. Making bobbles is a bit more fiddly than I remember from when I was eight, but them's the breaks. The pattern used is Bobble-Head Ray (Ravelry page only). I don't think it can quite be said to be one-size-fits-all, as it's a bit loose on me - I'm planning on making one for myself, and knocking off at least one 8st repeat. My brother is a sight taller and broader than I am, so the size shouldn't be a problem. I'm happy with how it turned out, and it feels lovely to wear!






This wee centurion hat was a commission, based on this. I'm not enamoured with either crochet or paying for things, so I improvised a knitted version. I intended to write down the pattern, but that didn't pan out.  The hat is knit with Debbie Bliss Rialto Chunky on 6mm DPNs, and the credt was crocheted using fluffy yarn that's been leftover from a scarf for years. I used ~DK yarn held double, and I think it gives it a bit of stiffness that works better than a row of tassels would have.

It's to be a gift for a friend's six-month-old nephew, but I don't know what size babies' heads are, and couldn't find any patterns for six-months-olds so I could extrapolate. Hopefully it's larger than this teddy bear's anyway. On a related note, it seems like people almost always describe babies as being a good size, or big for their age. If all babies of an age are big for that age, it's possible that that's just the size that babies are at that age.

Tow more October birthday presents to go, and then I can move on to Christmas knitting! No staying up until three in the morning every night of the week before Christmas for me this year, no sir.

1 comment:

Erin Kate said...

I love the slouch hat !