Monday, January 3, 2011

Henry Bear Blanketeers

Today I looked at my stats, and so far this blog has 264 views. I know this isn't very much in the Grand Scheme of the Internet, but it's still many people seeing what I do and what if they think they things I make are ugly and the things I think are childish and pretentious and oh god what must the internet think of me. So in the interest of making internet strangers think well of me, I'm going to post about something worthwhile.

A few months ago at work, we all had to learn to crochet for an exhibition. (You know it's a good job when learning a new craft is a requirement.) I got talking to a woman who came in who told me that she's part of a group called the Henry Bear Blanketeers. They make quilts for children going for heart surgery in Crumlin Children's Hospital, which the kids then get to keep. You can make squares and send them in to be sewn together, or you can make whole blankets and send them in. Squares should be six by six inches, though other sizes will be used. Squared can be knitted or crocheted, and it's a very good way to use up left-over bits of yarn. (My yarn box is much tidier AND I've done something good with my Christmas holidays! I've also improved my crochet - I've always been a knitting gal, but it is a lot speedier.)

If you're interested or would like more information, you can contact knitasquareandshowyoucare@gmail.com or Heart Children Ireland. It's an Irish project, but it was inspired by Project Linus in America, and I'm sure there's something local in other countries too. If you decide to take part, leave a comment, I'd love to know if I've helped people get involved.